Chocolate & Spice

chocolate, spice and the other pleasures in life

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Clearing out the fridge isn't easy!!

I read once here about a certain food blogger's difficulty in finishing up his lasagne sheets. With just a week to go before we leave Melbourne for good after our 6 months here, I am faced with the same problem with the dates still lurking in my fridge after 2 rounds of Sticky Toffee Puddings and my attempt at Date Scones the other day. And what I have left isn't quite enough for another pudding for the Christmas gathering at Allan's folks next week in Sydney and I don't fancy making anymore goodies to stuff our face with this week!! *SCREAM*



With all the boxes and bags we have to load the car with next Saturday when we leave for Sydney, I'm sure we'll find room for yet another small bag but it vexes me no end that I can't seem to finish these dates. It's no solution telling me to eat them plain (as I hate the taste of plain dates if not masked with other flavours) - that'll be A's job.

Back to Date Scones. It's a simple recipe, perfect for Saturday morning brekkies when it's pulled out fresh and steaming hot from the oven. Alright, who are we kidding here? No one I know who reads this blog gets up early on Saturday, much less to bake! But honestly, if you do happen to have any leftover dates in the fridge, set the alarm clock and give this recipe a go. Although these scones keep relatively well, they are definitely best fresh and hot, with the aroma of sweet dates mingling with the freshly ground nutmeg. I had one smothered with butter as soon as it came out of the oven and it was oh so yummy....


This recipe comes from Stephanie Alexander's lovely cook book, The Cook's Companion.

Date Scones
(makes about 10 - 11)

Ingredients
:

150g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (this is essential, do not skip!)
pinch of salt
20g unsalted butter
2 tbsp sugar
150g dates, stoned and chopped
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water

Method
:

1. Preheat oven to 210'C and grease a baking tray.
2. Sift flour, nutmeg and salt together, then rub in butter. Add sugar and dates.
3. Combine milk and water and mix into flour to form a soft but firm dough. Knead together quickly, then press out on a floured surface and cut into squares or use a cutter to cut out rounds.
4. Bake for 7 minutes then reduce heat to 180'C and cook for a further 8 minutes until golden.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home